Friday, September 23, 2011

Dyslexia: Mother and daughter continue to triumph

A mother and daughter who have both battled with dyslexia to earn degrees, have enjoyed further success since their joint graduation this summer.

Sara Jane Williams and her daughter Ashleigh both received BA Honours degrees in contemporary applied arts from Hereford College of Art and Design in July.

Now Sara Jane, who left school with no qualifications, has had her work selected to appear in several galleries, with one - the Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre, in Wales - selecting her as one of the top 13 applied arts graduates in the UK.

Meanwhile Ashleigh has also enjoyed success, with her work being selected for display at The Fold, in Bransford. She has also been asked by other galleries to produce some work for the Christmas period.

“It seems that our work is in demand, which is really pleasing for both of us,” said Sara Jane. “When Llantarnam Grange selected me as one of the top graduates I could not believe it. I was surprised and delighted and it made me quite teary when I saw my work up on the wall.

She added: “All my work is based on dyslexia and is, I hope, raising awareness of the condition. Maybe this will encourage someone else out there to have a go at doing something.”

No comments:

Post a Comment